Strange ponderings as I watch TV.


I've started watching an Australian TV show from the mid 2000s, which to me was only not that long ago. It's a cop show set in a Sydney neighborhood that has a high Arab population. The protagonists is a cop of Iraqi descent -- an Arab. He's endeavoring to work with his community and not against it like some of the other blatantly racist cops characters. 

So as I was watching the second episode today a noticed a pit forming in my stomach. The line that triggered this pit was, "You're either an Arab or a cop." UGH!! This was only made 15 years ago - we knew better at this point, or so I thought. But it got me thinking about what is it that we should representing on TV. Should we be representing the world that is warts and all? Or should we be representing the world that could be as a model for the viewing public. 
What impact do the narratives that play out on our screens day in and day out have on the norms and behaviors that take hold in society? 
What it does make me think about is the importance of representation and the ability to be a critical thinker while watching. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Too Long Between Hugs

Mission Accomplished

A Trip to the Spelling Bee